Wednesday, September 3, 2008

NFL Predictions

The NFL season is almost upon us. For the 1st time in a long time, I'm more excited about the NFL season than I am about the College Football Season. I don't think we will see domination in the league like the Patriots did last year, until they got to the Super Bowl. I think it will be more wide open than most experts think. However, I'm going with the glamour pick for the Super Bowl: New England Patriots over Dallas Cowboys

My sleeper picks are the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Green Bay Packers.

Here are my division breakdowns.

NFC South: 1. Carolina 2. New Orleans 3. Tampa Bay 4. Atlant
a
I guess you can call this a homer pick for me. Initially, I liked the Saints over the Panthers, but breaking down the preseason and schedules, I went with the Panthers. I've been good with my predictions for the Panthers the past few years. I thought they were over-rated last year and thought they were very under-rated during their Super Bowl run. They won't be a Super Bowl team this year, but they will be good. They made a lot of right moves in the off-season. If Peppers can get some help on the D-Line, their Defense will be one of the tops in the league again. I think they will have the best Linebacker corp in the NFL. Most favorably, looking at their schedule, it's one of the easiest schedules in the league. The Saints have a tougher schedule than the rest of the division. Tough road games. Tampa is getting old fast and it will show this year. Atlanta is rebuilding.

NFC East: 1. Dallas 2. NY Giants 3. Philadelphia 4. Washington

Dallas is loaded this year. I think they will be better than last year. There is no reason this team should not get to the Super Bowl. I know Romo still hasn't won a playoff game, but he's the type of person to build off past experiences. The Giants are the defending champs. However, losing Strahan and Osi will cost them dearly. I don't see much difference in this Philly team than last year. Sure, they signed Assante Samuel, but they need a lot more help than that. I would not be surprise that this is McNabb's last year in Philly. The Redskins have looked awful this preseason. Sure, it's just preseason, but it's their starters that look very bad.

NFC North: 1. Green Bay 2. Minnesota 3. Detroit 4. Chicago

A lot of people like Minnesota this year. I still don't understand why people are giving Tavaris Jackson a pass over Aaron Rodgers. Until Minnesota gets a good QB, they will be an average team. Green Bay has a lot of young talent. I think McCarthy and Ted Thompson are getting a bad wrap with this Favre thing. They rebuilt this team with young talent and their future looks bright. If they believe in Aaron Rodgers, I'm on board. Detroit is getting better, but not enough. I think Chicago and Atlanta will fight it out as the worst 2 teams in the NFL this year.

NFC West: 1. Arizona 2. Seattle 3. San Francisco 4. St Louis

This is my surprise pick. Most experts are picking Seattle. They just have too many injury issues. Arizona has been taking a step in the right direction. Wisenhunt is doing a good job and this year will show. However, this will be by far the weakest division in the NFL. Arizona or Seattle probably would be the last place team in the NFC East.

AFC East: 1. New England 2. New York Jets 3. Buffalo 4. Miami

I don't see 16-0 or anything close to that this year. I see more like 12-4 this year. The Jets are closing the gap, but Brady and Company are too strong. Their defense is slipping a little this year. Not really much to say about Buffalo or Miami. Both are trying to improve, but unless Brady retires, it doesn't look like it will happen soon.

AFC South: 1. Jacksonville 2. Indianapolis 3. Houston 4. Tennessee

This is finally the year Jacksonville overtakes Indianapolis. They finally have a stable QB and their defense will be tops in the NFL this year. Depth at key positions. I like them. If things fall their way, like injuries with New England, they could wind up in the Super Bowl. The reason I'm not picking Indianapolis, I just don't see any fire in Dungy. His poor coaching cost them against San Diego last year. They are dealing with injury issues too. Houston will be slightly improve. Tennessee I see just getting worse. Vince Young has regressed rather than progressed and he does not have a good WR corp.

AFC North: 1. Pittsburgh 2. Cleveland 3. Cincinnati 4. Baltimore

Cleveland made a lot of off-season acquisitions on defense. I'm going more with gut than logic with Cleveland. Since Crennel has gotten there, they've been very inconsistent. Pittsburgh will still be the class of the league by default. I don't see any improvement in Cincy and Baltimore may be the worst team in the AFC this year.

AFC West: 1. San Diego 2. Denver 3. Oakland 4. Kansas City

I think San Diego is the best team in the division, but I see them slipping a little this year. Merriman will not last the season, Gates is dealing with an injury, LT was banged up more last year than he ever has in his career. All signs point to a decline. Fortunately for San Diego, the rest of the division is inconsistent. I think Denver has a chance to overtake San Diego, but I want to see some result before I trust them. Even though Oakland should be a little more improved this year, KC and Oakland are about even for 2 bad teams.

Playoff Predictions.
NFC - 1. Dallas 2. Green Bay 3. Carolina 4. Arizona 5. Saints 6. Giants
NFC Championship - Dallas over Carolina

AFC - 1. New England 2. Jacksonville 3. San Diego 4. Pittsburgh 5. Indianapolis 6. Cleveland/Jets (One of the two, slight advantage to Cleveland).
AFC Championship - New England over Jacksonville

Super Bowl - New England over Dallas


No comments: