Thursday, September 18, 2008

Men of Troy, Cardiac Cats

What was I thinking? How could I have ever thought Ohio State could keep it close with USC? The reason I thought the way I did is, Ohio State was returning 20 of 22 starters from a team that reached the BCS Title game last year. However, deeper thinking would have made me realize Ohio State was very over-rated last year and back doored their way into the game rather than earning it. I thought they were very over-rated last year. They lack the speed and athletes of the SEC and USC. Keeping the same over-rated players from last year won't close the gap against the SECs and USCs of the world. I agree with the general public and experts. USC is by far the best team in the country. The only other team that has shown something is Oklahoma. However, I don't won't to see a USC-Oklahoma BCS title game, even though that what it looks like we are headed. I want to see USC vs an SEC team. Oklahoma got manhandled by USC years ago and Oklahoma has played poorly in BCS bowls the past few years.

I was half right with most of my predictions last week. I'm 2 for 2 in upsets in College Football so far. Maryland, a 14 point underdog last week, beat Cal. I hope from here out, when a West Coast or Pac-10 teams plays on the East Coast, they shouldn't agree on a 12 Noon start. I picked most of the winners, but not by the margins I predicted. Georgia struggled against South Carolina, Panthers had a tough time with the Bears, but a win is a win.

Georgia survived South Carolina. They probably should have lost the game. Unbelievable how many times South Carolina shot themselves in the foot. Does this mean the Georgia Bulldogs are over-rated? Probably not. South Carolina always plays Georgia tough. We'll get more of an idea if Georgia is for real this weekend against Arizona State.

Georgia Tech lost a close one to Virginia Tech. They probably should have won the game, but didn't. Virginia Tech still doesn't impress me at all. I'm a little worried about Georgia Tech though. Georgia Tech's defense is keeping them in games. I'm not sure if Paul Johnson's offense can survive against the big boys. Also, this is not the type of offense to have when you're playing from behind. Luckily, there are no big boys in the ACC. Hopefully it's the learning curve that is causing GT's offense to sputter.

The Carolina Panther, aka the Cardiac Cats, are back at it. They looked awful the 1st half on Sunday. However, the defense kept them in the game. Luckily, Chicago is not very good offensively. I think Chicago is better than most thought. Their win over Indy is not fluke and Matt Forte looks like he can carry the workload. He's a big, strong RB. He's the real deal. On the other side, Jonathan Stewart showed why the Panthers were so high on him. If he can stay healthy, he will be one of the best RBs in the NFL. Interesting they are playing Minnesota this week. Stewart and Peterson are very similar, a combination of speed and power. Stewart can and will be at Adrian Peterson's level next year if he can stay healthy. Another key is the Panthers re-built offensive line is good. Looks like the gamble with Otah on draft day will pay off. He's still a little raw, but will only get better.

What a Monday Night game. Definitely one of the best Monday Night games in a long time. I was more impressed with the Eagles than with the Cowboys. I was wrong about my assessment of the Eagles and McNabb. McNabb has looked as good as he's ever been. These are the 2 best teams in the NFC. Yes, better than the Packers and Giants. Packers are good, but not great. The Giants injuries and the loss of Osi and Strahan will eventually catch up to them. I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas chokes again this year. I just think they are not committing to the run like they should. They need to go to a more consistent ball control offense rather than a gun-slinging style offense. They will put their defense into too many holes with quick series and high turnovers. The Giants played the perfect style last year. Ball control, consistent, commit to the run, etc. Even the year the Colts won the Super Bowl, they didn't get into the high scoring shootouts they were accustomed to in previous years.

Just a quick comment on the Denver-San Diego game. San Diego got jobbed. If the ref wanted to make up for it, he should have called a holding penalty or something the next play against Denver. There is such a thing as a make-up call. Just shows you the ref cared more about his ego than doing the right thing. I've ref'd football and basketball before. You can practically make a case for holding almost every play in the NFL, just like you can practically call a foul almost every play in basketball.

No comments: