Thursday, September 11, 2008

Weekend Predictions - 9/12/2008

Big upcoming weekend for college football. Of course USC vs Ohio State is dominating the slate. Locally, UGA plays at South Carolina, Georgia Tech plays at Virginia Tech, and some other interesting games such as Michigan at Notre Dame and Wisconsin at Fresno State.

Ohio State at USC - I predicted Ohio State to win this game before the season started. Even with their best offensive player most likely out, I still think they have a great shot. USC did look good their first game, but it was against a hapless UVA team. Ohio State struggled against Ohio, so all signs are pointing to a USC blowout. I see Ohio State's defense stepping up. However, I worry about Ohio State's offense. It will have to be a game in the 20's if Ohio State wins. USC will score some. However, it always seems in a close game, USC always does some stupid trick play or gets too fancy that will end up costing them. Pete Carroll gets too much credit for his coaching. He gambles too much, too cocky at times, and a lot of times bites him in these big games, ala Texas, and panic against Stanford last year. I hate to waffle on my prediction, but with Ohio State's best player out, I can change my mind. Prediction: USC 24 Ohio State 20

Georgia at South Carolina - Georgia hasn't played anybody real yet and South Carolina lost to an inferior Vanderbilt team. I don't think Steve Spurrier has lost his touch. He just doesn't have the talent he had at Florida. Georgia is loaded. Historically, South Carolina has played Georgia tough. The road team has won the past 2 years. I see it different this year. Georgia has a lot of swagger and confidence while South Carolina is still trying to find their identity. Their offense has not looked good either of the first 2 weeks. Their defense has look respectable. I see UGA winning this one easily by at least 2 TD.
Prediction: Georgia 31 South Carolina 17

Georgia Tech at Virginia Tech
- I'm not going to make a prediction for this game but I will give my thoughts on the game. I watched all of the Georgia Tech - Boston College game last week. I was impressed with Georgia Tech. They made a lot of mistakes and fumbled the ball more than I would like, but it's a learning curve. Georgia Tech's defense is very good. Paul Johnson's offense will work at this level. Keep an eye on Michael Johnson, Defensive End. He's like a Power Forward playing football. A little slender for a DE, but reminds me of Jason Taylor. Virginia Tech struggled against Furman last week, which is not a good sign for them. The big advantage for VT is Georgia Tech has to travel 2 weeks in a row against 2 tough opponents.

Other Predictions: I like Notre Dame over Michigan. Both teams aren't very good, but ND is at home and has better QB play. Notre Dame's defense will be a lot better this year. Jon Tenuta is their new Defensive Coordinator and he will blitz a lot, which doesn't bode well for inconsistent QB's.

Wisconsin at Fresno State
: Interesting matchup. Wisconsin likes to run, run, run. I initially liked Fresno State, but I'm not sure if they can matchup physically with Wisconsin. Slight lean to Wisconsin.

Upset of the week
: Not much to choose from this week. Let's see if I can follow up my ECU pick last week. I'm going to go with Maryland over Cal. Maryland lost to Middle Tennessee State and struggled with Deleware, so not much logic in picking them. Maryland historically plays to the level of their opponents and they are at home. A West Coast team traveling to the East Coast to play a 12 Noon game struggles a lot of times. Cal is relatively young and struggled down the stretch last year with a better team. Cal is a little over-rated.

NFL Football - I can't believe all the hype and bandwagon jumping I'm seeing after one week. This is the fallout from the Brady injury. A lot of people are jumping on the Steelers right now. Let's not forget all they did was beat Houston. Yes, they dominated, but do it against a credible opponent, then jump on their bandwagon. Chicago is getting a lot of accolades for beating the Colts. Yes, they played very well and they were on the road. Let's not forget the Colts were without 2 of their starting Offensive Lineman and Peyton Manning didn't see any preseason action. They still have Kyle Orton at QB, a mid-level rookie at RB, and Wide Receivers no one can name. They'll be lucky to win 6 games this year.

Carolina Panthers
- I think the Panthers beat the Bears by 7-10 points at least this week. Historically the Panthers do not play very well at home. However, I think this Panthers team is different. They are riding an emotional high from their last game, I see more intensity and fire in this team that I haven't seen since their Super Bowl season. The Panthers running game will be on display this week.

Upset of the week
- A lot of small lines this Sunday, so a lot of upset picks really can't be considered an upset. I'm going to go with Cleveland over Pittsburgh. This is a division rivalry, Cleveland is at home, the game is on Prime Time (NBC), and Cleveland needs it more.

No comments: