Wednesday, September 3, 2008

College Football Breakdown - Week 1

I watched a lot of college football over the weekend. I will breakdown my thoughts and opinions below:

Florida - Yes, they won 56-10 over the weekend. However, I saw a lot of holes in their defense. Their defense was their downfall last year and will be this year. I may have over-rated them a bit. They will struggle against strong rushing teams. However, they have a favorable schedule this year.

Georgia - Georgia suffered a big setback losing a starting Defensive Lineman this weekend. They'll be OK, but their schedule will still be their downfall this year.

Clemson - Could anyone else not see this result? Like I said Tommy Bowden is a big game choker. Most of their Offensive Line is new. They got all the accolades because of the return of their glamour players. Harper, Spiller, and Davis returned, but as we saw, you need more than them.

Ohio State - Hopefully Beanie Wells will be back for the USC game. USC did look impressive, but I'll still go with Ohio State in their showdown even though I'm not liking it. Their defense is too stacked.

Wake Forest - I should have rated them in my top 3 ACC predictions. They were off my radar. As we saw, the ACC looked bad as a whole.

ACC Football - Yes, everyone is calling them a joke and rightfully so. It's just a bad cycle for them right now. It starts with Miami and FSU, who aren't the dominant teams they use to be. The reason I believe they are down is due to the Florida Gators dominance in the state. Miami and FSU have been spread thin, while the Gators have reaped the benefits in recruiting. Also, there are a lot of over-rated coaches in the ACC. Al Groh and Tommy Bowden to start. Plus, the ACC have a lot of young teams this season.

Cupcake scheduling - I think the BCS should reward scheduling like the NCAA basketball tournament committee does. Whatever formula the BCS uses, they should penalize for scheduling I-AA teams. Strength of Schedule should have more emphasis.

Any changes in my predictions? - Depending on the stature of Beanie Wells injury, I may have to go with USC. Florida and South Carolina, even though they won by big margins, they aren't as good as they seem. Missouri may be better than I thought. I'd probably give them a nod over Texas for #2 in the Big 12.

Coaches that need to go after this season: Dave Wannstedt and Phillip Fulmer. Very poor coaching jobs. They had the talent to dominant their opponents over the weekend, but yet found a way to lose.

No comments: