Wednesday, September 3, 2008

College Football Preview

I got started on my blog last week about my college football predictions and didn’t get a chance to get it out before the season. Tough finding time with a baby on the way, I can’t imagine how it will be when he actually arrives. Below were my predictions:


The Georgia Bulldogs were #1 in most preseason polls, but they aren’t the powerhouse pick as we’ve seen in previous years. I do not think UGA will not be there in the end. They may not even win the SEC. At best, I think UGA is a 10-2 team this year, but more than likely 9-3 (not including bowl game). Their schedule is too tough. If they had last year’s schedule, I’d give them more of a chance. If Stafford and Moreno stay for next year, I like them more next year. I know I may get hammered for my prediction because I’m a Georgia Tech graduate, but I’m being realistic. In case you’re wondering what I think of GT this year, I have no clue. I’m not sure how Paul Johnson’s offensive philosophy will work. GT’s schedule is not favorable either. I predict 7-5 for them. Here are my conference and preseason top 10:


1. Oklahoma 2. Ohio State 3. USC 4. Florida 5. Georgia 6. West Virginia 7. Texas 8. Auburn 9. LSU 10. Florida State


SEC – 1. Florida 2. Georgia 3. Auburn

The SEC is always tough to predict. It’s consistently the best college football conference. Florida has suffered a lot of injuries, but Florida is one of those programs where they can easily reload. As long as Tim Tebow is still there and Urban Meyer directing the team, I like them to win the SEC. I do admit, I’m a big Tim Tebow fan. He’s a great football player, a great leader, and most importantly, a great person. If you’ve know anything about Tim Tebow, you know what I’m talking about. Tim Tebow is about a perfect role model you can have. Florida’s schedule is more favorable than Georgia and it’s been forever since Georgia has beaten Florida 2 years in a row. Florida will have revenge on their mind against Georgia due to the end zone shenanigans UGA pulled last year. Auburn will win the SEC West, but will lose to Florida in the SEC Championship.


ACC – 1. Florida State 2. Clemson 3. Virginia Tech

A lot of the media is picking Clemson this year. Living in ACC country, I’ve seen this story plenty of times. Tommy Bowden is as overrated coach you will find and Clemson will lose 1-2 games every year they aren’t supposed to. I like FSU to bounce back this year. They still consistently recruit the best athletes in the ACC. The ACC is not top heavy this year, but if things are close to even in the ACC, I would always take FSU.


Big 12 – 1. Oklahoma 2. Texas 3. Missouri

I like Oklahoma a lot this year. All their tough games are at home this year and they returned most of their key players last year. It was tough picking between Mizzou and Texas. When in doubt, take Texas talent over Mizzou.


Big 10 – 1. Ohio State 2. Illinois 3. Wisconsin

Ohio State returned a lot of players this year. The also play in a weak Big 10 conference. I like Ohio State to beat USC on the road and then run the table. After Ohio State, it doesn’t matter, but Illinois has been coming on the past few years.


Big East – 1. West Virginia 2. Cincinnati 3. South Florida

West Virginia has a favorable schedule this year and can potentially run the table. Their tough games are at home. Pat White is back, but losing Steve Slayton will affect them in the long run. They will slip up somewhere. Cincinnati is my pick to finish 2nd. They came on strong late last season and have improved the past few years. This year, they will reap the rewards. Unfortunately they play at WVU.


Pac 10 – 1. USC 2. Arizona State 3. Oregon

This is still USC’s league. They play ASU and Oregon at home this year. However, I will see them struggle offensively against upper tier opponent and lose to Ohio State. Sanchez is their QB. I think he’s a little over-rated. He was the QB when they lost to a 40 point underdog in Stanford last year. It’s a toss-up between ASU and Oregon for 2nd. ASU plays Oregon at home.


Others – 1. Fresno State 2. Utah 3. BYU

Notice no Notre Dame. They are a 7-5/8-4 team at best. Fresno State has a lot of returning starters. Utah does too. I think Fresno has a better defense, so gave them a nod. I don’t think we’ll see any of them in a BCS bowl this year though.


National Championship: Oklahoma over Ohio State

After I wrote this, I saw that Sports Illustrated picked the same National Championship game. However, I picked Oklahoma, while Sports Illustrated picked Ohio State. Reason being is Oklahoma will be more battle tested during the season. Texas, Cincinnati, Missouri will give them big game experience. Ohio State’s only big game will be against USC. The Big Ten will be weak again this year and will hurt Ohio State in the long run in getting their players prepared. It will be a 3-peat of losing for Ohio State.


No comments: